Saturday, June 27, 2009

Done, and done.

We finished our film last night. The polishing that I thought was going to take 3 hours took over 12 hours (classic Beijing inefficiency) We were in the lab until almost midnight, and they usually lock the building at 10:30. We thought they were going to lock us in and we'd have to spend the night. I was horrified at the thought -- the building is disgusting, filthy and home to mice, and mosquitoes the size of humming birds. No one cleans ever. There's trash everywhere, the floors are spotted with dirt. The bathrooms almost made me vomit the first few days (but then i got used to them, which is truly horrifying). And what's scarier than a Chinese public toilet? A Chinese public toilet in the dark! -- there was a power outage last night as well. The place feels like an eastern european prison. I'm not prissy-princess type girl, and I have a lot of patience for tough situations, but this was my absolute limit. There was no way I was going to spend the whole night in that place. Thankfully the Chinese students talked the 'uncle' who minds the building into leaving the gate unlocked so we can leave. I'm officially done. I'm ready to re-join civilization. I want a soft bed. I want clean things. I want peace and quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment